Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2015

My Thoughts About: Helter Skelter Manga


Helter Skelter manga is written and illustrated by Kyoko Okazaki . It follows the story of Ririko, a famous celebrity who is a product of multiple cosmetic surgeries, as she struggles to keep her fame and beauty. This masterpiece shows the sad reality of what our society reflects today. People tend to give more importance to appearance rather than other aspects of a person. This wonderful piece serves as an eye-opener to women/men that beauty and youth are not the only things that define you as a person. After finishing both the manga and movie, I still have mixed feelings about Ririko's character. I feel sorry for her but at the same time, I also feel that she got that perfect "ending" that she deserved. Yes, I do understand that she underwent some serious psychological issues/identity crisis but not enough to abuse her manager (Hada and her stupid boyfriend) and the people around her like that. Her actions perfectly reflected how f*cked up her mind had become.

But then again, I can somehow blame society for what she had become. If only people were not too judgmental and not too fixated on fleeting beauty. I have nothing against plastic surgery but I firmly believe that it is not the only way to become "beautiful". Beauty doesn't always equate to Youth and vice versa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment